I know that it doesn't look like much but I am very happy with how well it turned out. Once I decided on what I wanted, I don't think it really took that long to accomplish my task. Having said that, I don't know that I will be doing this again anytime soon. I think that next time I will try my hand at insertion instead.
Now all I have to do is cut out the lining, hem the lining top, cut the fashion fabric and sew it all up. The tucks will be in the front only. The back will be plain with pearl buttons. The sleeves will also be plain and gathered into a band. There will also be a band at the bottom of the bodice so that it can be worn over the skirt. I have some cotton insertion that I may use at the collar and cuffs. I haven't really decided on that yet.
Here is one of the images that I have found for a girl's tucked bodice with short sleeves:
Here is another that I have been looking at for years now. I love this image. The one that I am currently working on will have short sleeves.
6/18/2013 Update - Here is how the top looks now. I have lace for the neckline and sleeve cuffs but my teen doesn't want them attached. I'll see if she changes her mind in the near future.
Front showing the tucks
Back with no tucks but you can see the front tucks through the sheer fabric
The top worn over an undervest