Monday, June 3, 2013

A Nice Dress of Plaid Poplin

9/1/2012 - My younger daughter is so very hard on her clothes that I am glad she wears an apron with her mid-century dresses. The two dresses that she has now are of brown cotton prints. However, I think that it's time she had a nice dress.

Here is the inspiration image for this dress:

Peterson's Magazine 1855

Somehow I don't have an image for the fabric. It's a beautiful cotton poplin in peach, blue and cream plaid. I have had this fabric for a year, holding it, with dreams of it becoming this dress. Alas, I have to make 2 new petticoats and a cage for her to wear under the dress before I can even begin..... and as I am currently in the middle of several other projects, I figured that now is the best time to start this one. ;D

Yes, I love to overbook myself. It keep me from getting bored. :D

9/9/2012 Update - The fashion plate dress is most likely of light silk. Mine will be of a heavy, stiff, cotton. Therefore, the flounces will be omitted from my dress. I think the fabric will hold the bretelles well so I am keeping those. The belt and ribbon bow at the back will be of silk to match the fabric. I would also like to make nice closed bishop undersleeves and a collar of batiste.

Here is the conversation about the design and construction of this dress over at
The Sewing Academy.org


6/3/2013 Update - I will be making this dress this month. The bodice will be fitted and lined in cotton, with open short sleeves. The skirt may or may not have tucks depending on how well the pattern looks in tucks. The bretelles, belt and bow will be made in self fabric or I may use some of this voile that coordinates.

Turquoise Voile

Here is an example of bretelles from the period. These are of white cotton worked in broderie anglaise

 .

6/22/2013 Update - Here is the dress as it was worn today. The bretelles are still to be made as well as the silk belt and bow.